The school welcomes applications from students with special educational needs, and will use the resources provided by the Department of Education and Science to make reasonable provision and accommodation for all such students and will ensure that these students are free to participate in the life of the school in so far as is reasonably practicable. While recognising and fully supporting parents’ rights to have a school of their choice for their children, the school’s ability to accept students with particular needs are dependent on the supply of resources, both financial and personnel, suitable to the needs of the individual student, being supplied by the Department of Education and Science.
School management and parents must cooperate, from the earliest possible time, to establish the special educational needs of the student, the resources required to meet those needs, and the submission of a well researched request to the Department of Education and Science/Special Education Needs Organiser (SENO) seeking the allocation of appropriate resources. Parents are encouraged to contact the school well in advance of the admissions process should they feel that their daughter has special educational needs, as considerable delays have been experienced by schools in receiving a response from the Department of Education and Science to a request for special resources.
In making provision for Special Educational Need students the following information is required:
Has the student any of the following resources?
Special Needs Assistant or Classroom Assistant.
- Member of a Special Class.
- Help for specific needs from any resource teacher.
- Assistance with behavioural modification.
- Psychological Assessment – if yes, the report should be supplied.
- Any additional resources to help with special needs.
- Help in areas including visual impairment, hearing impairment, general learning disability or emotional disturbance.
- Any resource in relation to travel or mobility.
The Board of Management, having gathered all relevant information and professional documentation, will assess how the needs of the special needs students can be met. Final confirmation of a place may, in exceptional circumstances, have to be withheld until after the Department of Education and Science confirms that the necessary resources are to be allocated.
The school reserves the right to refuse enrolment to any student in exceptional cases. Such an exceptional case could include the following:
1. The student has special needs such that, even with additional resources available from the Department of Education and Science, the school cannot meet such needs and/or provide the student with an appropriate education
2. In the opinion of the Board of Management, the student poses an unacceptable risk to other students, to school staff or to school property.
The school’s Special Needs Policy is currently being adapted and will soon be available for consultation in the school.